Diseases of amphibians and reptiles course covers 1 semester and 15didactic hours.
Lectures and classes are in weekly intervals.
Students gain knowledge about the most important diseases, treatment and prevention amphibians and reptiles.
Detailed rules of the classes and work safety will be described during the first class.
Detailed description of topics are available in Syllabus.
Lectures are held in room no 433 – Collegium Veterinarium (2nd floor)
Classes are held in laboratory no 442 – Collegium Veterinarium (2nd floor)
Person responsible for Diseases of amphibians and reptiles:
DVM, PhD Klaudiusz Szczepaniak – Collegium Veterinarium, room no 433 (2nd floor)
White coat is required for practical classes.
- 1, 2 Characteristics of the most common species of reptiles and amphibians in veterinary practice
- 2, 3 Breeding, holding and transport systems
- 4, 5 Safety rules for working with reptiles and amphibians
- 6.7 Legal requirements and necessary documentation when working with exotic animals in Poland and European Union countries
- 8.9 Equipment of a diagnostic laboratory adapted to the diagnosis of diseases of reptiles and amphibians
- 10 Anatomical basics of biological sampling from reptiles and amphibians
- 11 Parasitic diseases of reptiles and amphibians
- 12 Infectious diseases of reptiles and amphibians
- 13 Non-communicable diseases in reptiles and amphibians
- 14, 15 Additional test used in the diagnosis of diseases of reptiles and amphibians
Classes (L – laboratory, A – auditorium)
(total number of training hours: 15, including: L -10, A -5, ) H
- sampling diagnostic material from various species of reptiles and amphibians
- Post-mortem examination and post-mortem biological sampling L.
- Basic laboratory techniques in the diagnosis of reptiles and amphibians. A
- Parasitological examination of L.
- Microbiological examination of L
- Morphological and biochemical examination of the blood of reptiles and amphibians L
- Pathological section L
- The most common viral diseases L.
- The most common bacterial diseases L.
- The most common fungal diseases of L.
- The most common parasitic diseases L.
- Principles of administration and use of drugs in reptiles and amphibians
- Drug dosing for reptiles and amphibians A.
- Basic principles of sedation and anesthesia in reptiles and amphibians
- Basic surgical procedures on reptiles and amphibians L.
- Exotic Animal Formulary, autor: James W. Carpenter MS DVM Dipl ACZM, Saunders; 3 edition (December 28,2004)
- Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles: Color Atlas and Text, autor: Elliott Jacobson, CRC Press; 1 edition (April 11, 2007)
- Medicine and Surgery of Tortoises and Turtles. Stuart McArthur, Roger Wilkinson, Jean Meyer., Blackwell publishing, 2004
- Powszechnie występujące choroby gadów i ich terapia – S. P. MessonnierWydawca SIMA WLW Rok wydania 1998
- Praktyka kliniczna : zwierzęta egzotyczne. Ssaki, ptaki i zwierzęta zmiennocieplne. AUTOR: KARL GABRISCH, PEERNEL ZWART. Wydawca: Galaktyka, ISBN: 978-83-7579-099-3
- Reptile Medicine and Surgery. autor: Douglas R. Mader MS DVM, Saunders; 2 edition 2007
- Understanding Reptile Parasites: A Basic Manual for Herpetoculturists & Veterinarians : Roger Klingenberg, Advanced Vivarium Systems (June 1, 1997)