Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy
The Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy (previously the Faculty of Zootechnics) was established on 1 September 1953 within the structure of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University and it was the third one related to agricultural science – apart from the Agrarian Faculty and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. It included 4 departments, the so- called “livestock production section”, which were separated from the Agrarian Faculty of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University. Those were: the Department of Zoology (1944), the Department of General Animal Husbandry (1945), the Department of Animal Physiology and Nutrition(1945) and the Department of Detailed Animal Breeding (1945). In 1952, there were two additional sub-departments added: Cattle Breeding and Sheep and Horse Breeding. On 1 September 1955, after the establishment of the Higher School of Agriculture, the Department of Zoohygiene was incorporated into the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy, which was previously part of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
In a study published in 1963, on the 10th anniversary of the creation of the Faculty of Zootechnics, the authors wrote: “The above-mentioned departments went through a very hard time regarding their development – starting from the organisational works undertaken in extremely difficult conditions by a dozen persons who were full of patriotism and enthusiasm until the merger on 1 September 1953 and the creation of the Faculty of Zootechnics of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University.
The first persons involved in the history of the faculty were: prof. Adam Domański (1901-1997), prof. Laura Kaufman (1889-1972), prof. Henryk Malarski (1887-1955), prof. Zdzislaw Zabielski (1885-1974).
The teaching conditions were very difficult at that time. The education took place in one or two rooms located in buildings scattered all over the city. To attend some of the classes, the students had to travel several times a year to Puławy, where the laboratories of the former National Research Institute of Rural Economy were located.
The housing conditions improved slightly in the academic year 1947/48, after the reconstruction of the building at ul. Króla Leszczyńskiego 9. However, it was not until 1969 when there was a significant improvement of the facilities and a new building was put into service, at ul. Akademicka 13 – Collegium Zootechnicum. A year later, all departments of animal production were moved over there. Later on, in 2005, the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy was allocated several rooms at ul. Dobrzańskiego (in Felin), which now belong to the Department of Hydrobiology and Protection of Ecosystems (on 1 September 2019, the faculty was combined with a newly established Faculty of Environmental Biology).
The Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy was reorganised several times.
In 1970, 3 institutes were created: the Institute of Biological Basis of Animal Production, the Institute of Animal Breeding and Production Engineering, the Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science. In the years 1966-1970, to the existing Sub-department of Economics of Animal Production, there was moved the Department of Economics and Agribusiness Organisation from the Faculty of Agriculture and, later on, it was changed to the institute of the same name and it was part of the structure of the Faculty of Zootechnics until 1975.
Another reorganisation took place in 1993. From the Institute of Animal Breeding and Production Engineering, the Sub-department of Wild Animal Breeding was separated and the Department of Ecology and Wild Animal Breeding was created. The Institute of Animal Nutrition and Hygiene was divided into the Institute of Animal Nutrition and the Department of Animal Hygiene and Environment. From the Institute of Biological Basis of Animal Production, the Department of Zoology, the Department of Hydrobiology and Ichthyobiology and the Department of Biological Basis of Animal Production were separated.
Another reorganisation took place in 1997. The Institute of Animal Breeding and Production Engineering was transformed into 6 independent units: the Department of Cattle Breeding, the Department of Sheep and Goat Breeding, Department of Pig Breeding and Production Technology, the Department of Horse Breeding and Use, the Sub-department of Ethology and Animal Production Technology Fundamentals and the Sub-department of Commodity Science and Processing of Animal Raw Materials. The last two sub-departments were transformed into departments over the following years (1998 and 2000).
In 2000, from the Department of Ecology and Wild Animal Breeding an individual sub-department was separated which is now called the Department of Companion and Wildlife Animals and in 2001, from the Institute of Animal Nutrition, the Department of Biochemistry and Toxicology was separated and it is now operating under the name the Institute of Animal Nutrition and Bromatology.
In 2017, a huge reorganisation of the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy took place and 10 units were created including 3 institutes and 7 departments. In 2018, the Department of Horse Breeding and Use was moved to ul. Doświadczalna (in Felin), where, in 2019, an equestrian centre was build which consists of 3 stables, 2 indoor riding halls and 1 outdoor riding arena.
In 1998, the name Faculty of Zootechnics was changed to the Faculty of Biology and Animal Breeding and in 2016, the name was changed again to the Faculty of Biology, Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy (the resolution of the Senate 22/2015-2016 of 22 January 2016). On 1 September 2019, there was another change of the name, to the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy (the resolution of the Senate 57/2018-2019 of 26 April 2019). The most recent change in the name of the faculty was due to the creation on 1 September 2019, the Faculty of Environmental Biology which consists of two organisational units transferred from the Faculty of Biology, Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy (Department of Hydrobiology and Protection of Ecosystems and the Department of Zoology and Animal Ecology). The transformation was the result of many years of activities of the successive authorities of the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy who took care of the education of the staff not only in animal science but also in food technology, nutrition and biological sciences. The above-mentioned operations made it possible in 2018, for the Dean of the faculty – prof. Joanna Barłowska to apply to the Central Commission for Academic Degrees and Titles to obtain the rights to award the academic title of a doctor in the discipline of biology. Following the decision of the Commission of 28 January 2019, the University of Life Sciences in Lublin (taking into account the personnel from other faculties who are assigned to the discipline of biology) obtained the rights to award a title of doctor of science in the discipline of biological sciences. This allowed JM Rector of the University of Life Sciences in Lublin – prof. dr hab. Zygmunt Litwińczuk to create a new faculty – the Faculty of Environmental Biology. With the establishment of the Faculty of Environmental Biology, education in the following fields of study was transferred to the new unit: environmental protection, biology, forensic biology and biocosmetology.
Presently, the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy consists of 2 institutes and 7 departments.
|The organisational units||The sub-units|
|2.||Institute of Animal Nutrition and Bromathology||Feed and Biological Material Analysis Laboratory
Sub-Department of Bromathology and Food Physiology
Sub-Department of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science
|3.||Institute of Biological Basis of Animal Production||Laboratory for Zoopsychology
Laura Kaufman Small Animal Teaching and Research Station
Sub-Department of Improving Animals and Poultry Farming
Sub-Department of General and Molecular Genetics
Sub-department of Apicultural
|4.||Department of Animal Breeding and Agricultural Consulting||Laboratory for Agricultural Consulting
Sub-Department of Pig Breeding and Biotechnology
Sub-Department of Small Ruminant Breeding and Professor T. Efner Research Station
|5.||Department of Animal Ethology and Wildlife Management||Sub-Department of Animal Behavior and Welfare
Sub-Department of Animal Ethology
Sub-Department of Game Management
|6.||Department of Animal Hygiene and Environmental Hazards||Sub-Department of Microbiology and Reproductive Biology
Sub-Department of Occupational and Environmental Hazards
|7.||Department of Biochemistry and Toxicology||Laboratory for Analytical Biochemistry|
|8.||Department of Cattle Breeding and Genetic Resources Conservation||Laboratory for Organic Production of Food of Animal Origin|
|9.||Department of Horse Breeding and Use||Riding Facility|
|10.||Department of Quality Assessment and Processing of Animal Product||Sub-department of Food Safety and Regional Products
Sub-department of Instrumental Analysis of Food
Sub-department of Commodity Science and Processing of Raw Animal Materials
There are 137 employees at the faculty including 102 academic lecturers, 28 engineering and technical employees and 7 other employees (including service). Among the academic personnel, 79 persons are employed as researchers and lecturers and 23 as lecturers. Among the research and teaching personnel, there are 21 titular professors, 18 professors of the university, 6 assistant professors with a title of habilitated doctor, 19 assistant professors with a title of doctor, 6 assistants with a doctoral degree and 9 assistants with a master’s degrees. Among the teaching personnel, there are 3 titular professors, 7 professors of the university and 13 assistant professors with a doctoral degree (4 November 2019).
A special contribution to the development of the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy was made by following Deans: prof. Adam Domański (1953-1962), prof. Alfred Chodkowski (1962-1964), prof. Ewald Sasimowski (1964-1969), prof. Janusz Maciejowski (1969-1972), prof. Władysław Zalewski (1972-1973), prof. Józef Zięba (1973-1984), prof. Jacek Rączkiewicz (1984-1987), prof. Marian Budzyński (1987-1990), prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk (1990-1996), prof. Grażyna Jeżewska (1996-2002), prof. Tomasz M. Gruszecki (2002-2008) and prof. Eugeniusz R. Grela (2008-2016). Currently, the position of a dean is held by prof. dr hab. Joanna Barlowska (2016 -).
A measure of recognition for the employees of the faculty was their appointment to perform managerial functions at the university. In the period from 1969 to 1972, a rector was prof. Ewald Sasimowski and for the current term (2016-2020) this function is entrusted to prof. dr hab. dr h. c. mult. Zygmuntowi Litwińczuk. Vice-Rectors: prof. Gabriel Brzęk (1959-1962), prof. Adam Domański (1965-1966), prof. Janusz Maciejowski (1972-1975), prof. Władysław Zalewski (1973-1981), prof. Aleksander Walkiewicz (1987-1990), prof. Ryszard Stenzel (1990-1993), prof. Czesława Lipecka (1993-1996) and prof. Grażyna Jeżewska (2002-2008) and presently (2016-2020), dr hab. Eugeniusz R. Grela.
6 professors from the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioecology have received a honorary degree: doctor honoris causa: Laura Kaufman (1964), Gabriel Brzęk (1984), Adam Domański (1987), Ewald Sasimowski (1991), Władysław Zalewski (2003) and Marian Budzyński (2013). Three professors from the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioecology were awarded this title by other universities: Gabriela Brzęka in 1995 – the Medical University of Lublin, Czesława Lipecka in 2006 – Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences and Zygmunt Litwinczuk, awarded the title three times: in 2008 – the Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities, in 2013 – the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn and in 2016 – Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences.
The highest award, V PAN, i.e., the Medal of Michał Oczapowski, was received by prof. Adam Domanski (1991), prof. Ewald Sasimowski (2003), prof. Marian Budzyński (2008) and prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk (2017). Another prestigious award, a Medal of prof. Tadeusz Vetulani, for the contribution to the protection of biodiversity of native breeds of farm animals, was given to: prof. Ewald Sasimowski (2002), prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk (2007) and prof. Tomasz M. Gruszecki (2015).
Some employees of the faculty were also selected to perform functions in important institutions related to organisation of education in Poland. The following professors were members of the Central Commission for Academic Degrees and Titles: prof. Ewald Sasimowski (1973-1979), prof. Janusz Maciejowski (1986-1994) and prof. Zygmunt Litwinczuk (1997-2016). This position is currently held by prof. dr hab. Tomasz M. Gruszecki (2017-2020), who was also elected a member of the Council of Scientific Excellence for the term 2019-2023. Prof. Czesława Lipecka was a member of the General Council for Higher Education (2000-2005) and prof. Marian Budzyński was a member of the State Committee for Scientific Research in Poland (Polish: Komitet Badań Naukowych – KBN) (2000-2003). The function of the chairman of the Scientific Committees of the Polish Academy of Sciences was performed by: prof. Ewald Sasimowski (1975-1978), prof. Janusz Maciejowski (1981-1983) and prof. Marian Budzyński (1991-2003), the vice-president of the Scientific Committees of the Polish Academy of Sciences was prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk (2003-2011) and the vice-president of the Committee on Animal Sciences and Aquaculture of the Polish Academy of Sciences was prof. Tomasz M. Gruszecki (2016-).
A measure of recognition in the national animal science community was the selection of our employees to perform important functions of the Polish Society of Animal Production. The presidents of the society were: prof. Roman Prawocheński (1938-1939), prof. Henryk Malarski (1948-1955), prof. Ewald Sasimowski (1972-1974), prof. Janusz Maciejowski (1986-1989) and prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk (2007-2013).
Another great personality of the faculty is prof. Laura Kaufman who was the first woman in Poland awarded the title of professor in Zootechnics. Prof. Kaufman was also a member of the Polish Academy of Sciences (since 1958), the founder and first president of the Lublin Scientific Society (1958-1965).
The faculty continues to develop its teaching base. The breakthrough moment was the establishment in 1992, in addition to Zootechnics, another field of study – Environmental Protection. In 2002, the third field of study was created – Biology with specialisation in Applied Biology and in 2010, the fourth major curse was added -Occupational Safety and Health. In 2011, the 5th field of study was created – Food Safety. During the period 2012-2014, new majors were created based on Zootechnics: Hippology and Equestrian Sports, Animal Behaviour and Agricultural Consultancy. In 2015, the ninth major was created – Food Safety Education and Certification and in 2017, first- cycle studies were opened. In 2017, two additional majors were added: Physical Education and Qualified Agritourism and a course in English – Equine Management and Care. In 2018, Biocosmetology was added and a course in English – Horse Osage which was taught as part of second-cycle studies of Hippology and Equestrian Sports. In 2019, Dairy Production was added – first and second-cycle studies. As mentioned earlier, three fields of study (environmental protection, biology with specialisation in forensic biology and biocosmetology) were moved to the newly created Faculty of Environmental Biology.
Recently (2016-2018), curricular evaluation of 8 major fields of study was performed by the Polish Accreditation Committee (Zootechnics, Food Safety, Hippology and Equestrian Sports, Animal Behaviour, Occupational Safety and Health, Biology, Environmental Protection and Food Safety Education and Certification). All of the fields of study were rated “positive”.
There are currently 1303 students of the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy. Over the course of 66 years, nearly 15,000 students were awarded a degree, including 7420 in Zootechnics, 5300 in Environmental Protection, 910 in Biology, 162 in Hippology and Equestrian Sports, 350 in Animal Behaviour, 377 in Occupational Safety and Health, 133 in Food Safety, 73 in Food Safety Education and Certification and 37 in Agricultural Consultancy.
Since 1996, there has been a doctoral programme conducted at the faculty (the last admission of students was in 2018). During this period, 193 students attended the doctoral studies, 90 of whom completed their doctoral thesis and were awarded a diploma. There are also 4 postgraduate programmes assigned to the faculty.
Since 1966, students can join a scientific association “Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy” (the previous name, until the end of October 2019, was – Scientific Association of Biologists and Breeders). Currently, there are approximately 350 students working in 21 specialised sections. Since 2016, a supervisor of the scientific association is is dr hab. prof. Witold Chabuz.
The scientific activities at the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Bioeconomy are related to various research problems undertaken by individual organisational units.
The contribution of the personnel of the faculty to the process of creation and conservation of genetic resources of native animal breeds should be given special attention. The following persons should be mentioned here: prof. Zdzislaw Zabielski, the creator of Puławska breed of pig, prof. Laura Kaufman – the creator of Polbar breed of chicken, prof. Adam Domański – the creator of Uhruska breed of sheep (now Polish Lowland sheep breed – Uhruska variety), prof. Janusz Maciejowski – the creator of a Polish variety of a breed of a fox (Vulpes vulpes, Polish: list pastelowy).
The contribution of the professors of the faculty to preservation, protection and sometimes restoration of many animal species is also significant. For their great commitment, the following persons should be mentioned: prof. Witold Głuchowski, prof. Józef Zięba, prof. Grażyna Jeżewska-Witkowska for conservation and protection of Green-legged Partridge breed of hen, which was continued by prof. Antoni Brodacki and prof. Grzegorz Zięba; prof. Zygmunt Surdacki and prof. Aleksander Walkiewicz for conservation of Puławska breed of pig, which is now continued by prof. Marek Babicz; prof. Ewald Sasimowski and prof. Marian Kaproń – for conservation and protection of a breed of a pony (the Konik, Polish: konik polski or konik biłgorajski) which is now continued by prof. Richard Kolstrung and prof. Anna Stachurska; prof. Zygmunt Litwińczuk – for restoration of a breed of cattle – Polish White-backed cattle, prof. Tomasz M. Gruszecki – restoration of a breed of a goat (Polish: koza sandomierska) and prof. Roman Dziedzic – protection of capercaillie.