The history of the Institute of Soil Science, Environment Engineering and Management dates back to 23 April 1945, when the Department of Soil Science was established at the Faculty of Agriculture of Maria Curie-Sklodowska University (UMCS). The department was transformed into the Sub-Department of Soil Science at the Institute of Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry which was later renamed to the Institute of Soil Science, Agricultural Chemistry and Microbiology. As a result of subsequent reorganisations, in 1986, the Institute of Soil Science was established. The name of the Institute was changed in 1999 to the Institute of Soil Science and Environmental Management and in 2011 to the Institute of Soil Science, Environment Engineering and Management. The Heads of the Department / Institute were: Prof. Jan Tomaszewski (1945-1946), Prof. Bohdan Dobrzański (1946-1969), Prof. Ryszard Turski (1969-1992), Prof. Henryk Domżał (1992-2008), Prof. Stanisław Baran (2008-2017), and Prof. Halina Smal (since 2017).
The Sub-Department of Soil Reclamation and Waste Management conducts research on:
The Institute collaborates with numerous Polish and European institutions related to agricultural science and practice. The employees of the Institute cooperate also with state and local government administration and business entities:
The Institute is equipped with modern scientific apparatus to make numerous specialized analyses, which allow to form expert opinions in wide range of research areas.
In the years 2015-2020, the researchers of the Institute published 86 abstracts in conference proceedings and 146 original scientific papers, including 65 papers in journals covered by Web of Science Database with total Impact Factor equalling 129.414. They were also authors or co-authors of 7 patents and 1 implementation.
Currently, the teachers of the Institute conduct classes in 1st, 2nd and 3rd cycle, full-time and part-time studies in the following study courses:
Delivering lectures in: